This accessibility statement applies only to the Corwen Town Council website https://corwentowncouncil.co.uk/.
Please note that due to Covid-19 our plans to improve the accessibility of this website have been delayed but we will be continuing work on improvements over time.
This website is run by Corwen Town Council. We want as many people to be able to use this website as possible. For example, this means that you should be able to:
- zoom in up to 300% without the Text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader
- to change text colours, contrast levels and fonts, but this has not been implemented yet.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Some of the posts in the News Items page and Home page which contain embedded pdfs or images of posters which are not supported by screen readers. Also, as many of the documents are bilingual the screen reader we tested with could only read the English parts of the documents. We will be testing other screen readers in future.
- Some of the older PDF documents or those that are scanned images of paper documents ( knows as ‘Images of Text’) on other pages, particularly those on the “Archived Council Minutes” and others in the “Council Business Section” pages are not supported by screen readers
- We have not yet implemented the option to change test colour, contrast or font onto the website.
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille then please contact the council clerk on:
- Call 07971 880150
We will consider your request and get back to you within 5 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact the council clerk
- Call 07971 880150
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Corwen Town Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to ‘exemptions’ listed below
Some images do not have a text alternative, so people using a screen reader cannot access the information. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content).
We did plan to add text alternatives for all images by September 2020; however, the disruption caused by Covid-19 has delayed this. We are currently assessing how soon this can be accomplished.
Some of the PDF documents in the subsections of the ‘Council Business’ section are scanned images of paper documents with signatures. The images of Text in these documents cannot be customized, and so fail success Criterion 1.4.5 Images of Text
The News Items Section includes PDF posters and other community news Items that are also images of Text and inaccessible to both screen readers and not customizable.
We’ve assessed the cost, and time restraints caused by Covid-19, of fixing the issues with these documents, We believe that doing so now would be a disproportionate burden within the meaning of the accessibility regulations. We will make another assessment in the next few months (autumn 2020)
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
Over the next few months, we plan to improve the accessibility of our website. Until recently the restrictions due to Covid-19 have prevented Corwen Town Council from meeting with our website support contractors.
We will be arranging a meeting as soon as possible to produce a road map for reassessing the current “disproportionate burden” of the remaining items and carrying out the improvements we are able to. This will also include a more thorough test of the website and a published accessibility report.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 21/09/2020. It was last reviewed on [21/09/2020].
This website was last tested on 21/09/2020. The test was carried out by ACS Technology.
Home, News Items, What we Do, Councillors, Archived Council Minutes, Agendas and Minutes, Contact the Council.
We decided to test these pages as they contain most of the key information on the website and represent the full range of types of pages on the website.
Each page was tested for compliance with the WCAG 2.1 AA standard. In particular, we focused on the following due to the time constraints imposed by COVID-19 and a more thorough test will be part of ongoing improvements.
- zoom in up to 300% without the Text spilling off the screen – All pages tested to 500%
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard – All pages can be navigated with the Tab and enter keys, are there are no keyboard traps
- The ability to navigate the website with speech recognition software was not tested at this time.
- Listen to most of the website using a screen reader – Tested with the “read-aloud” feature of Microsoft Edge. All pages and menus can be read successfully, apart from the already listed issues of images missing alternative Text and the images of text pdf documents.
At this time, an accessibility test report has not been published; this will also be part of the upcoming improvements.